remington woodsmaster 742 issues

jjconstr

Credits
Hi, - bought this gun used. The problem is metal particles collect in the receiver after shooting it several times. I've stripped it completely down, lubed it with high grade non running grease, reassembled, shot it, only to have the metal particles reappear. Also the bolt is harder to pull back. We don't have a gunsmith in the area anyone would recommend. Anyone know what would cause this?

poorguy

Credits
I'm no gunsmith however seems to me if your finding metal shavings / particles in the receiver than I would take the bolt out and examine it for signs of excessive wear along with every other moving part.

Something that leaves metal particles / shavings is bound to show signs of excessive wear perhaps due from a to tight fit.

Eugor

Credits
Hi, - bought this gun used. The problem is metal particles collect in the receiver after shooting it several times. I've stripped it completely down, lubed it with high grade non running grease, reassembled, shot it, only to have the metal particles reappear. Also the bolt is harder to pull back. We don't have a gunsmith in the area anyone would recommend. Anyone know what would cause this?
A quick snoop at leeroys ramblings shows maybe a guide rail issue
http://leeroysramblings.com/Gun Articles/remington_7407427400_semiauto.html
scroll down to where it talks about 742 receiver rails chewed up. maybe. if not good info anyway. He had a lot of info on my stevens 325 bolt action that helped me out.
Good luck

OP
J

jjconstr

Credits
A quick snoop at leeroys ramblings shows maybe a guide rail issue
http://leeroysramblings.com/Gun Articles/remington_7407427400_semiauto.html
scroll down to where it talks about 742 receiver rails chewed up. maybe. if not good info anyway. He had a lot of info on my stevens 325 bolt action that helped me out.
Good luck
Just wanted to stop by and say thanks for the link to leeroys ramblings. i used his ramblings successfully when repairing my 50 yr old outboard motor. He's quite a guy! Thanks!

Top Bottom